So in my case this error message is a red herring. This happens for server 2003 or 2008 when the snapshot provider doesn’t get registered correctly. From here http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1019848
To manually register the VMware Snapshot Provider:
- Click Start > Run, type cmd, and click OK.
- Enter the following commands in sequence:
regsvr32 “C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers\vss\VCBRequestor.dll”
regsvr32 “C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers\vss\VCBSnapshotProvider.dll”
“C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\COMREG.EXE” -register “C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers\vss\VCBSnapshotProvider.dll” “VMware Snapshot Provider” “vmvss” “VMware Snapshot Provider”
If, when registering the COM application, you see the error error 80110801 when attempting to register the COM application, you must delete the VMware Snapshot Provider COM application.
To delete the VMware Snapshot Provider COM application:
- Click Start > Programs > Administrative Tools > Component Services.
- Double-click Component Services > Computers > My Computer > COM Applications.
- Select VMware Snapshot Provider and press Delete on your keyboard.
- Manually register the VMware Snapshot Provider COM application.
If you receive this error when registering the COM applications, you may registry key corruption:
For more information, see Microsoft’s Knowledge Base article 940184.
i have the same problem in a windows 2008
i have try to re register windows vss library
can i have problem if a re register the library as described ?