Advertisements

I actually got ZFC Zero Foot Print Client to work with Qlikview 8.20

Find this post interesting? Do you like interesting things? Maybe you would like my invention, a connectible candle called a WickBrick!

Get one here http://wickbrick.etsy.com/

WickBrick

So I was trying hard to get the ZFC to work and I kept on getting

“Failed to open document, file not found.”

grrr it was absolutely driving me crazy!

So here is the deal, When you go Tools, Objects Client Page Generator

You would think that it would default to the correct Document URL.

No, it does not. Not even close. And it does not even check it if it’s valid…. lame

Dear QlikView people, please add a browse button for the Document URL of the Objects Client Page Generator! I know you can do it! If I enter in my web browser qvp://myservername it gives me a great document browser!!!!

Anyways, so the first key is that you need the Document URL to actually point to your document. Duh. This is where it got interesting for me though because if I use the above qvp:// browser it does not give me the path. So how do I find out the path?

Well open the qlikview that you are wanting to ZFC (though the web) either browse there by qvp:// or use http://myserver/qlikview and picking it from the list

Now hit ctrl + shift + q which brings up the Document Support Information which lets you know your qvp:// path. There was that so hard. In my case we have a QVW which is named Production_Summary.qvw in the Inventory folder so I was assuming the path would be qvp://server/Inventory/Production_Summary.qvw

(Notice the Underscore between Production and Summary) and in fact when I run the Objects Client Page Generator it even defaults by putting in the underscore!!!!!!!)

But the real qvp:// is qvp://server/Inventory/Production Summary.qvw without the underscore.

I’m not sure if this is a bug or intentional but it sure is annoying!

So once you find the actual real path. Things get a little easier. The next error you will get is unable to access file. This is a permission problem. I am not sure about qlikview security at all, how session licenses versus User CALs work. Someone should explain it for me 🙂

I read on the Qlikview forums that you needed to disable anonymous access to get the ZFC to work so this is what I did. I got it to work using c:\inetpub\wwwroot\test as my target folder.

Then opening up, IIS manager, creating a new virtual directory pointing to c:\inetpub\wwwroot\test (When creating the virtual dir, I also allowed script execution don’t know if this matters)

Then permissions, I right clicked on my newly created virtual dir, properties, directory security tab, edit, and then unchecked Enable anonymous access. Then I did this on the one the QVAJAXZfc folder as well!!!

Finally I navigated to my http://server/test directory and saw my ZFC for the first time! Let me know if it works for you or if you know anything about this!

Advertisements

Some quick tips for helping remote users

So the first question we always ask when a user has a problem is, what is your computer name.

You can always go the right click on the mycomputer icon, then properties, the computer name tab, and then read me the name after Full computer name.

The cheater way is to tell them hit start, run, and then type %computername%

It will give them an error that contains their computer name, nifty huh!

***

Another thing I sometimes have people do is flush their dns cache.

Usually the command is ipconfig /flushdns but I can never remember whether it is a forward or a backslash and sometimes the user does not know the difference anyways. So the solution

ipconfig -flushdnss , everyone knows where the dash is! Just eliminate that hassle

Parameterized Sql statement vb.net

Very basic but, never do this

Using connection As New SqlConnection(connectionString)
        Dim command As New SqlCommand("select * from Customers 
where city = '" + inputCity + "'", connection)

Instead

Private Sub UpdateDemographics(ByVal customerID As Integer, _
    ByVal demoXml As String, _
    ByVal connectionString As String)

    ' Update the demographics for a store, which is stored 
    ' in an xml column.
    Dim commandText As String = _
     "UPDATE Sales.Store SET Demographics = @demographics " _
     & "WHERE CustomerID = @ID;"

    Using connection As New SqlConnection(connectionString)
        Dim command As New SqlCommand(commandText, connection)

        ' Add CustomerID parameter for WHERE clause.
        command.Parameters.Add("@ID", SqlDbType.Int)
        command.Parameters("@ID").Value = customerID

        ' Use AddWithValue to assign Demographics.
        ' SQL Server will implicitly convert strings into XML.
        command.Parameters.AddWithValue("@demographics", demoXml)

        Try
            connection.Open()
            Dim rowsAffected As Integer = command.ExecuteNonQuery()
            Console.WriteLine("RowsAffected: {0}", rowsAffected)

        Catch ex As Exception
            Console.WriteLine(ex.Message)
        End Try
    End Using
End Sub

From http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.data.sqlclient.sqlcommand.parameters.aspx